Monday 9 June 2008

MIA considers marrying Kanye West for green card

It's a tough choice: mum or Montreal. But that's just the decision that MIA says she's facing when relocating from New York in June. Either she'll return to her mother's bosom or make her way north to the land of Loudon Wainwright, poutine and French-Canadians. If neither of those options transpires, however, she can always move in with Kanye West.

"I might have to move to Canada," she confessed to Jam! Showbiz. "Basically, at the moment, I can choose between Montreal and London. My mum's, like, 'I want you here!' I haven't seen her in, like, forever."












MIA - real name Mathangi "Mya" Arulpragasam - has long courted controversy, recording songs about bombings, resistance and general political rabble-rousing. And it had an impact: when she applied for an US work visa, she was only able to wrangle a one-year stay. That visa expires in June, potentially forcing MIA to leave her New York digs.

She's making the most of her remaining time in the US by touring. "I figured I might as well do a few more shows in America before I may not be allowed back in or ever get a chance to come back again," she said. "It's nice to tour around America and do every gig like it's your last."

MIA will have to decide which is more important: a welcome-home kiss on the cheek from her mum or laying low in Montreal's chic and, for the moment, sunny streets.

Then again, there's a third option: "I was at a [Kanye West] show four days ago and [Kanye] was like, 'You have to make this song with me,'" MIA explained. "I think he'll marry me to keep me in the country. He was really dead serious about it." We'll keep our fingers crossed for a wedding invitation.


See Also